Archaeological findings
| photo: National Monument Institute Ostrava

“We only rarely come across preserved remains of medieval kitchens in town houses. A rare phenomenon is also the well-preserved documents of the original form of medieval houses in the places of the existing development of the historic city cores,” stated Petra Batková, spokeswoman for the National Monuments Institute in Ostrava.

During excavations in the rear part of the current house, archaeologists discovered parts of a brick oven with a hearth. To this were added whole ceramic kitchen utensils including lids, a wooden wooden spoon and a heat-deformed iron grate.

“Nearby on the floor lay a considerable number of glass rings, probably a part of what used to be a woman’s necklace, as well as a hanging bolt spring lock from a door or a chest, a three-pronged pitchfork and a spearhead,” listed Batková.

Ostrava archaeologist František Kolář joined. “It seems that under the existing floor of the courtyard hall of the house there are the remains of the original wooden structure, which disappeared once due to a fire sometime during the 15th century, possibly in connection with the Hussite conquest of the city in 1427,” he noted.

According to the detected traces of historical development, the ground floor of the house was inhabited, while the stone part most likely functioned as a granary. Experts also repeatedly came across traces of fire, namely parts of charred wooden structural elements and masonry mortar, which had been colored pink by the heat.

Salvage archaeological research and building-historical research is carried out by the National Institute of Monuments together with the Museum of Novojičín and with financial support from Nové Jičín. “The owner of the house also received a subsidy to repair the original beamed ceiling,” added Petra Batková.