December 14, 2022, 07:03 – Public News Service – OSN
Frying potatoes – it would seem that it could be easier. However, in the process, you realize that something is not right. It sticks, burns, does not brown, or even a stewed-boiled and completely unsightly mass is obtained. Therefore, in order for fried potatoes to look like you returned to childhood and were cooked for you by your mother or grandmother, you need to know all the subtleties and tricks of this process. Public News Service I learned how to fry potatoes the right way.
Which potato to choose
First you need to choose exactly the type of potato that is suitable for frying. To keep the slices well when cooked, choose tubers with a low starch content of about the same size and only one variety.
Pay attention to the color of the skin: firm, smooth potatoes in light, yellow or pink shades will do. But it is better not to take tubers with a green peel. In any case, you will have to cut off the entire green part.
Important: Green color indicates a high content of solanine. It not only spoils the taste of potatoes, but can even lead to poisoning.
How to properly cut potatoes
You need to cut the potatoes into small identical pieces so that they are exactly fried and keep a golden crust. The ideal shape is straws, sticks or thin slices.
If you like it when the potatoes are cut into large pieces, then pre-boil them in boiling water for about 5-6 minutes.
How to get rid of excess starch
After you have peeled and cut the potatoes, they must be soaked in clean cold water. Dip it in water for 30-60 minutes or, if there is no time, just rinse it under cool running water. This will help remove excess starch from the potatoes.
Then be sure to dry the slices. A paper towel works great for this. Dry the potatoes thoroughly, as frying wet wedges is not a good idea.
The main secrets of cooking potatoes
- In order for the potatoes to be perfectly fried, choose a cast-iron or steel frying pan with a thick bottom.
- Fry the slices in refined vegetable oil. Further, if desired, you can add butter.
- Dip potatoes only in well-heated oil, otherwise they will not have a perfect crust.
- Experts do not recommend adding oil during the frying process.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the pan. The result is a crispy and ruddy crust.
- So that the potatoes do not turn into half-cooked or overcooked, do not disturb them often. Need to find a balance.
- After you have sent the slices into the oil for the first time, you must wait 4-5 minutes. If this is not done, then there will be no golden crust.
- If you need the most crispy crust, then fry all the additives (onions, mushrooms, meat) separately and add to the pan 5–7 minutes before the potatoes are ready.
- So that you do not get potato slurry, always salt the dish at the end of cooking.