January 5, 2023, 15:40 – Public News Service – OSN

Former Minister of Defense Kazakhstan Murat Bektanov gave a number of illegal orders and dared to leave military strategic facilities unprotected during the rallies held in the country in January last year. This is reported by Interfax with reference to the statement of the Prosecutor General of the Republic Berik Asylov.

Speaking at a plenary session of the Majilis (lower house of parliament) on Thursday, January 5, Asylov said that hearings on the case of the former defense minister were still ongoing at the military court. According to the investigation, he did not take the necessary measures to restore constitutional order in the country.

“Therefore, Bektanov is accused of abuse of power committed in a combat situation. The court will determine the final legal assessment of his actions and the measure of punishment,” Asylov said.

Recall that Murat Bektanov headed the department since August 2021, and he was relieved of his post on January 19 last year after the unrest in Kazakhstan. On February 20, the man was detained and sent to a temporary detention facility.

Earlier, President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on January 4 signed decrees on personnel changes in several ministries and in the government.